pawName Index

"To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die."

Thomas Campbell 1777-1844
from a poem called, "Hallowed Ground"

With thanks to rescuer Katherine M. Grady

Every Rescue Dog

To those puppers who passed to the Bridge with no person to wait for, no name to be called to rest by, no home to remember.

Loved by all dachshund owners, wanted by all dachshund lovers, but never found by the right home, this site is dedicated to all of the unknown dachshunds who have passed without the opportunity to give their greatest gift - their love to a good home.

May they forever love all of us who never knew them.

So many of them were re-loved after being lost. So many saw their owners leave before it was their own time and the sense of loneliness and loss lay upon these little dogs heavily. But that sadness ended for so many taken back into the hearth and warmth of new homes.

But not for all.

So many more dogs lost their families and homes or never had them. They spent their days, head on paws, eyebrows raised sadly in small confining spaces. They felt hunger because they could not eat. They felt cold because they were not touched.

And then they were gone. And no one heard of their passing.

These too, we should remember, even though nameless. You will know them at the Bridge. They will be the happiest to see us of all.

Unlike the beloved dachsies on our other pages, the 'rescue dogs' memorialised below didn't have adoring families to chronical their ages and life's achievements. But we remember them with love...

The first story on this page is of Sam, and while it is long for a memorial, it embodies the work that rescuers do, and the love they do it with. Telling that story is the purpose of this page. And Sam told it so well...

Hey, Sam! - I just wanted you to know how glad I am that you were". I gotta tell ya, really weren't a "rescue" dog. You were one of those special guys I call a "rescuer" dog. The kind of dog who touches our souls, and opens our hearts...and you did that for soooooo many! I saw more than one "snuffle" as you proudly strutted out of Lollypop Farm. Sheesh! You remember the night before you left? When I came to see if we could *squish* you into your little travel crate? I had to send someone off to get you from your comfy bed by Jacque's desk! And then, when I went to find her, to ask about your traveling meds, Jacque asked, "Did you leave Sam out front!? It depresses him to be out there!" And off she scurried to get you back to your safe place! Only then, could we talk! Ya know, fella, not many of the guys who end up at the shelter are given free range of the place! And while the folks out there are glad to see any of you get a home, there are rarely resounding cheers given up at the news, like there were when I told them you had one.

It was touch and go there for a while, buddy. I made half a dozen calls looking for someone on my list to take you. A couple of folks went to look at you, and said, "No...he just isn't "our" dog." (Hrumph!) They told me we were running out of time, and because you were not the spiffiest lookin' guy (What's wrong with a little balding guy with an "attitude", anyhow!?), our hopes were growing dim. After I met you, (It had something to do with you nestling into Susan's lap in the blink of an eye...) I said,"Just give me a few days. I need a few more days." You know, there's always one more door to knock on. That's the way I see it. And if you don't ask, the answer is always no. And so I asked the best folks I knew if anyone wanted to take a chance on you. Ah, the power of the internet! Within 24 hours, it was a "done deal". You had a HOME!
Several phone calls, and e-mails, and days later, off you went...on the wings of an angel! You remember Benny. He's the guy who shared his sub with ya! (And made sure ya weren't squooshed on the ride home!) What you didn't know, Sam, was that you paved the way to a new home for some other out of luck dachsie down the road. The desk clerk, where you boarded, fawned over you as you were about to get on the plane. After you left, she asked about you. (She was a good egg...she has a dachsie at her house!) I told her all about you, and Benny, and the dachsie lists, and your NewMom and family, and who I was and what I try to do for homeless dachsies. She asked me to write down my name and phone number. She thinks there's room for "one more" at her house, too! Little does she know that "one more" is rarely enough! Your NewMom loved you. And so did the mountaineer dogs. She told me so, lots of times! :)) Your future was bright, but alas, your time very short. I don't know what to say, bud, other than "Thank you!" I wonder if the folks who gave you up realised just how special you were? I hope so. Even if they didn't...I'm glad you touched my life. You showed me some of the goodness in people that I sometimes forget is there. You made a "new" friend for me (your NewMom). You brought an "old" friend (Benny) back for a visit. And you gave me the incentive to work just a little harder to find really good dogs really good homes. Not many can claim doing that much good in such a short time. You will be with many of us forever, Sam.

Mr Finnegan -I take a deep breath, and report with many tears that Mr. Finnegan is now at the Bridge. He was a fighter, but he was too tired. It was time to let him go. Rest in peace, Big guy.

Old Timer - age and date of death not known

Old Timer was an older dachshund abandoned at a gas station. I took care of him for about a year until he was adopted by someone else. I was informed of his death sometime later of natural causes, but do not know when it occurred.

Schatze - February 2000, 16 years young

Placed into rescue at the tender age of 16 years, along with her companion, The Red Baron, Schatze was apparantly unable to cope with the loss of the only home she ever knew. Her foster home watched as she became weaker and finally, with the approval of the rescue group, helped her go gently to Rainbow Bridge. She did not pass from this earth unloved and she now rests in the last home she ever knew, her foster family having provided a place for her.

All the young and old dogs alike - all the 'babies'- the dachsies - who have gone to the Bridge from the Animal Rescue League in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania since July 1997

I have been a veterinary technician since 1996. I began to work in an animal shelter where euthanasia is a sad part of life. I have had owners bring in dachsies when they can't afford to have back surgery, or they send their dogs in with animal control because they can't handle going to the veterinarian. In my shelter, (we are undergoing renovations that will make us a 'no kill' shelter by 2005), the owners aren't allowed to be present during euthansia. My co-workers always call me and make sure I end the suffering for all these dachsies. I make sure they are held as they go to the Bridge. Thankfully, most of the dachsies I see go to a wonderful place at dachsie rescue, but for the few whose time is over, I want them to know someone else loves them enough to see them over the Rainbow. Bless all the animals.


Lucky - March 1999, 5 years old

I got a call that a black-and-tan dachshund was at a kill shelter in Spalding County. He had two strikes against him; he was not neutered and the staff thought he was a biter. Only 'fixed' dogs were adopted out. But when I called them they decided to let me have him and gave me time to drive down and get him; his life was to end there in a matter of hours. I had a family lined up for him and retrieved him. He went to his new family the next day; he wasn't a biter, just afraid. Mr. Lucky was a great little guy. Two weeks to the day after he was placed in his home, he was attacked by two pit bulls while on the end of a leash. He died that night during surgery. I got to kiss him goodbye. The attack dogs had been turned loose with the purpose of attacking him. No dog has ever touched me like Lucky did. I wanted to keep him, but didn't. I wish that I had; maybe he would still be with me. But we do the best we can with rescues. Every dog I place is for him. I wonder what he'll say when I get to the Bridge? I know what I'll say," I'm so sorry, Lucky. I just didn't know."

Tom Flynn

Honeysuckle - February 2000, 5 - 7 years old

Honeysuckle was a very sweet girl who came from a Nasty Place. I did not know that her kennel mate did not like other puppers. Honeysuckle never got a chance to know the love a new family could provide her. She came to me with a group of dogs and even though she was groomed and loved, bathed, combed, nails clipped, she had no idea what a life of love would feel like. Honeysuckle made her way to the Bridge far too soon, and her last moments on earth were horrid. I hope she knows that I loved her and a little piece of my heart went with her to the Bridge! I know she is happy now and her body is healed - run and play, Sweet Girl......You will always be on my mind!

Chipper - December 2000, 2 years, 6 months old

When Chipper was first turned over to rescue by the local 'animal control', I was warned that he was an owner surrender due to aggressive behaviour. I accepted him anyway, convinced that with a loving environment, Chipper would be a wonderful pet for someone. I truly believed I could overcome the abuse he had suffered at the hands of his previous owner and make him the loving animal that I just knew was in there!

Our first weeks together were interesting, to say the least. Chipper's past had taught him that everyone and everything was his enemy. He made no bones about using his only weapon, his teeth, to indicate when he was displeased. Over the course of time, Chipper finally started to learn to trust me. Not a lot. But enough that I finally felt I was making progress with him. Finally, I could start taking applications for him and by the time the right home came along, he would be ready to take his rightful place as a loving pet. Or, so I thought.

As I started replying to the applicants, I realised that I was telling them things that I had seen, but never admitted to myself. Behavioural difficulties I had noticed, observations about his reactions to strangers, children in particular. And, the more I wrote to the applicants, explaining why Chipper was not the right animal for their homes, the more I realised that Chipper's past had made him into an animal that no home would ever be right for. My optimism, so bright and cheery for him when he first came to me, was not enough to help him overcome a full lifetime of abuse. He simply wouldn't trust me enough to let me help him.

Chipper - I loved you so much. I always will. I sent you to the Bridge because I truly believed that you needed release from the memories of your past abuse. The memories that made it impossible for you to accept my loving efforts to help you. The memories that tormented you in your dreams. The memories that caused you to feel unsafe with everyone.

Your urn will always have a place of honor in my house. I will not forget you and the lessons you taught me about rescue. I may have failed you in life, but I know that you are now free of your past, running and playing and finally able to enjoy yourself at Rainbow Bridge.

I'll be looking for you when it's my time to go.


Pretzel - June 2001, 1 years, 6 months old

Dear Pretzel,

Many years I have been in rescue...and never has someone touched my heart so deeply in such a short time. I saved you too late, and grieve that I could not speed you along to a better life in this world.
I promise you as I failed you in life, I shall never fail you in death. I shall look forward to seeing you at the Bridge. Please be patient.

With love,
Eric - CCDR

Phoebe Bowie - June 2000, 3 years, 6 months old

Rusty - December 2001, 7 years old

You touched our lives only for a short time and yet you were so loved. We will remember you for your tail, always wagging, and for the impish smile on your face. We know you felt the love we gave back to you. We will all see you at the Rainbow Bridge...please be patient and wait for us. Love, ERIC - CLAUDIA - MELISSA - MICHAEL - MEL

Dogs we did not know...

So much love to give and so little asked in return. To the ones with no name given. May they find a loving heart at Rainbow Bridge - or wait a while. Until I am together with my hounds forever. We find a name and take their love in return.

Braley -December 2001, 3 to 4 years old

In memory of Braley, whom we only knew a short time.

You were such a sweet, kind and gentle boy, whose precious face lit up with adoration when a human came near you! I will never forget seeing how pitifully malnourished, bony, and sickly were you were when I first saw you! I regret I could not 'save' you. The years of abuse, neglect, starvation, heartworms, back injury, and neurological damage was simply too great. Your foster mom and I spoiled you as much as we could in the short weeks before Christmas, and forgive me, but I simply could not help you cross the Bridge before your first real Christmas with toys, love, turkey and dressing and your very own stocking of treats! You touched my heart, made me sad, angry at those who had done this to you, and hopeful that we can save others like you, before it's too late... Sleep well, sweet Braley, I will see you when it's my turn to cross the Bridge.

Christine, Central Texas Dachshund Rescue

Bella - March 2002, 5 years old

This is Bella. Many of you might have a relative of Bella's since she came from a Missouri puppy mill. She was hydrocephalic (water on the brain) and should have never been bred but for her five short years, that is all she did. She was also mostly blind, somewhat deaf, and totally unsocialised. She would shrink from human touch but then again, she craved it. Unfortunately she never got to soak up the love of a human and return it 100 fold. Mill life was too hard on her and her body was tired. Seizures would hit so hard that her head hit the floor and her teeth would accidentally bite her tongue. When they came four times in one day and lasted for increasing periods, we could not allow her to suffer any longer. She went to the Bridge with three DRNA members stroking her sides and apologising for the wrong doings of those that used her body to make money. Help us make little Bella's life mean something. Educate others about puppy mills and the many 'Bella’s' that are forced to breed on every cycle with total disregard for genetic defects that are known to be passed on to the puppies. We hope Bella is pain free, happy and whole for the first time and waiting at the Bridge to greet with love and joy those More-Than-Angels that helped her at the end.

Be at peace Bella,
Sue, Jill, Neil, Ed, Kelly and some loving transport folks that did their best to help Bella to freedom

Rhino - May 2002, 9 years old

Rhino was the best dachshund I had ever met. He came into rescue with his sister Dassie. They were both given up by their family because of a change in work habits. Rhino and Dassie were inseperable. They spent every minute of the day attached at the hip! Rhino was diagnosed with a grade-three heart murmur by our vets, but everyone said it was OK to put him under anaesthetic to have his teeth cleaned. After 10 days of being in his foster home, Rhino went in for his dental appointment. The vet removed four lumps on his body, and then proceeded to clean his teeth. They were almost all finished when Rhino went into cardiac arrest. The vets and assistants tried for over 30 minutes to get Rhino back, but couldn't. Later, we found out that Rhino had a tumor on his heart that was causing a great number of problems. Poor Rhino - no one saw this comming. His sister Dassie misses him SO much, as do the people who cared for him. Rhino was one of the best, and he will be truly missed. We love you Rhino, and we're so very sorry.
Claudia, Mike, Martha, Dan and Dassie

Jake - December 2002, 11 years old

Jake came into the clinic where I work to be euthanised for aggressive behavior on 18 June 2002. Well, one look at Jake, who seemed so happy and loving, had me hooked into wanting to save him. Much against my vet's advice, Jake was surrendered to me. I soon became Jake's saviour and the object of his true devotion. He guarded my every move. I was sure that Jake was given a bad rap about his behaviour.

But soon, Jake's demons began to surface and usually without warning or merit. He also had a history of seizures which may have contributed to his strange behavior. Jake would attack unprovoked, and usually it was the person whom he showered with love. This loving sweet boy could change into a lost soul without any feeling except hate. It appeared that he didn't even recognise who he was attacking. An animal behaviorist could not even reach Jake, much to our dismay. A heartbreaking decision had to be made in order for Jake to be released from his pain and torment. Thankfully there are people who realise this and can help make these decisions. It broke my heart, along with those of several rescue members, when it was agreed that Jake needed to find the peace he so wanted. I felt that I some how failed Jake, that I had given him false hope, but everyone had tried everything to save him. Jake went peacefully to the Bridge in December, 2002, with a rescue member, Yolanda, holding him tenderly. She said as he took his last breath, that he gazed into her eyes with a remorseful look, as if to thank her for allowing this peace to finally reach his soul. Sweet Jake, may you now know the peace that passeth all understanding until our hearts meet again. Love from your foster mom, Dona

Bo - February 2003, about 5 years old

Little did we know when we picked you up from the shelter in Anderson that you would be gone so quickly. We thought we just needed to get all that weight off you and you'd be running with all the others. But, weight was the least of your problems,and we soon learned that making you comfortable was the best we could do for you. So, we let you roam, let you run, let you explore the house and the yard, and let you sleep in the big bed. Were you happy? Did you feel loved? Did you think you had found your forever home? We hope so because we loved you as one of our own.

Even though your time with us was too short, we learned so much from you. We learned that determination will keep you going beyond all expectations. We learned to take one day at a time and most of all, we learned how to smell the flowers as we passed by. We watched you bump into furniture but back up and head in another direction. You could always find the food bowls, the door to go outside, the steps to get back in, and the bed. You knew where all the chews were hidden and taught the other dogs to give you wide berth when you were focused on getting to one.

And when the tumor finally got the best of you, you knew it was time to be released from your sick body. Time to run free at the Bridge, to eat everything you wanted and to rest in the tall grass and sunshine. Thank you for this final lesson that you taught us: always look for the brightness of tomorrow's sunshine!

Melanie and Joyce

Elijah - March 2003, 12 years old

Elijah was a precious black male with extremely advanced heartworms. He was rescued about 10 months before he went to the Bridge. Life had already taken its toll on his life and we could only help him have a joyous last few months. He went to the Bridge with a full tummy and being held in the arms of his beloved foster mommy. We miss him terribly, but we know he is watching us and helping us find other dachshunds that need rescue. We love you Elijah.

Brandy - August 2003, 5 years old

This memorial is for Brandy, who I never got to bring home. I found her through a rescue website and was able to have her pulled out of a kill shelter one day before she was to be euthanised. Her picture tugged at my heart and it was love at first sight. I couldn't wait to make the three-hour drive to go get her. But I would have to wait a few days until the weekend. The day before I was to leave, I received a phone call from the rescue with some bad news. 'We had to have her put to sleep today,' they said. It turned out she had terrible kidney failure and would have only lived another few weeks, even with medication. This news crushed me. So Brandy, this memorial is for you. I wish I could have given you a home, but I know you are home now. Even though I never got to hold you, I already loved you and had a place in my heart for you. I will never forget the look in your eyes that spoke to me from your picture and it comforts me to know you are no longer suffering and are free and happy at the Bridge.

Boo - December 2003, 7 years old

Boo honey, we're so sorry that you didn't find a forever home. Your only crime was being sick. I'll cry for you and the other doxies who can't find homes in time to avoid being euthanised. Love you, Boo.
Heid, Ruger, and Buttercup Kurtz

Fritz - March 2004, 9 to 10 years old

Fritz was dumped by his 'loving' owners last week at a local kill shelter. I don't know the story behind it - doesn't really matter. He was to be pulled this week, and actually had a forever home already interested in adopting him.

In preparation to going to his foster home, the shelter neutered him. Two hours later, they found his body in his kennel. Was it the surgery? Was it a broken heart? I tend towards the latter.

Here's to you, Fritz. Know that you are loved by many who never met you...

Jenny - May 2004, 2 years old

Jenny was a dachshund/labrador mix who was pulled from a south Georgia kill shelter at the age of two. She had heartworms and, unfortunately, did not survive the treatment. She was too young! A simple $3-4 pill each month could have given her a long and happy life. She is the only foster I've ever lost, and I still take it hard. She has renewed my commitment to rescue and pet guardian eduction each time I look at her sweet face. You may not have found your forever home, Jenny, but you were well loved.

Giggitt - August 2004, 8 years old

Dearest Giggitt,
you were small but mighty.I loved you and you will forever be in my heart.
Love, Mom Chrys

Frank Shelter Dog - December 2005, 2 years old

This memorial is dedicated to Frank, the two-year-old dachshund that was unable to be saved. Rescue tried their best to get you released but to no avail. You were just a tiny little dapple boy whose picture melted my heart. Even though I never met you I fell in love with you. You made your way into my heart where it will forever stay. I look forward to meeting you at the Rainbow Bridge and giving you the love you were denied. Run freely little Frank! I love you!!

Tiny Tim - May 2006, 6 weeks old

I am entering this for a baby dachshund puppy that was taken from a puppy mill on 12 May 2006 and he died on 16 May 2006. I read his story and it broke my heart. My heart went out to him the moment I saw his picture. He reminded me of my baby when he was first born.

Tiny Tim, you stole a piece of my heart from the first moment I saw you. You will forever hold a special place in my heart. I am so sorry you suffered the way you did. I am also sorry that I could not help you. I am hoping one day I will see you at the Bridge when I get there because I know when I see you, I will know immediately that it is you. I know that you know have your little angle wings and you are not suffering any longer.

Love Lucinda E. Ford

This page has been constructed with love and tears. Many thanks to many - but especially Benny, Jack, Katherine, and Helmut...

Click here to navigate to other locations on this site.